Halo Fixes
Welcome!

This site is a central place to discuss solutions for issues with Halo (for example, if the server lobby is not available).

Hopefully we can help you fix your Halo problems.

You can browse the information here without logging in, but if you register for an account then you can ask questions (or provide answers).

¡Bienvenido!

Este sitio es un lugar central para discutir soluciones para los problemas con Halo (por ejemplo, si el lobby de los servidores no está disponible).

Espero que podamos ayudarle a solucionar sus problemas de Halo.

Puede navegar por la información aquí sin iniciar sesión, pero si usted se registra para una cuenta entonces usted puede hacer preguntas (o dar respuestas).

Hosting a Dedicated Server and playing on the same machine

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hosting a Dedicated Server and playing on the same machine

Post by raquel101 on Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:42 pm

So I decided to resetup my dedicated server that is being hosted off my PC (I plan to move it to another machine later). I changed my server to use port 2312 and left my game on default port 2302. I was able to launch both my server and client and connect to my server with no problems (regardless of order launched) but now all the sudden I can't. (Was working fine 30 mins ago and now after not changing anything it doesn't work). If the dedi is running and I launch halo, I can't connect to my or any server (it just times out). If I launch halo first, connect to a server (I can connect fine), THEN launch the dedi server and then switch to that server on my client it works fine but that's a hassle. For instance I just alt-tabbed and crashed my  game by mistake but now I can't reconnect without closing the server and launching in that specific order. Any idea why my client times out on all servers when my dedi is running? Port 2312 and 2302 are forwarded and my firewall is completely off.

raquel101

http://www.twitch.tv/HelloGoldfish raquel101

Back to top Go down

Re: Hosting a Dedicated Server and playing on the same machine

Post by Vaporeon on Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:06 pm

I don't know what is causing this but you should definitely not turn your firewall off.

Vaporeon

Back to top Go down

Post by raquel101 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:57 am

Vaporeon wrote:I don't know what is causing this but you should definitely not turn your firewall off.

I know. Was just trying to narrow down the problem. I ended up moving the server to my other machine and it works fine now.  Very Happy

raquel101

http://www.twitch.tv/HelloGoldfish raquel101

Back to top Go down

Post by RadWolfie on Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:52 pm

I can easily answer the cause of the problem, had this experienced years ago. The problem is both client and dedicated server are using the same default ports for hosting AND client (yes, the dedicated server does use client port). So, both need to be filled in with different ports other than another Halo application is using in the same machine/network.

Also, if want to run both client and dedicated server on same machine and only preferred run your client to play any single player maps or need to change your settings. You can do that without conflicting the dedicated server.

For others do not understand this, I will make it more briefly understanding.

Spoiler:
You need to add the -port (hosting) and -cport (client) parameters in your Halo application's shortcut properties, yes that means your Halo dedicated server too!

P.S. Please do not ask me why or what reasons the dedicated server are using the client port for. I have not finished the netcode listener, which will be resume from range of 6 months to a year or much later date.

RadWolfie

http://halo.dangerzonestudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:25 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum