Halo Fixes
Welcome!

This site is a central place to discuss solutions for issues with Halo (for example, if the server lobby is not available).

Hopefully we can help you fix your Halo problems.

You can browse the information here without logging in, but if you register for an account then you can ask questions (or provide answers).

¡Bienvenido!

Este sitio es un lugar central para discutir soluciones para los problemas con Halo (por ejemplo, si el lobby de los servidores no está disponible).

Espero que podamos ayudarle a solucionar sus problemas de Halo.

Puede navegar por la información aquí sin iniciar sesión, pero si usted se registra para una cuenta entonces usted puede hacer preguntas (o dar respuestas).

Legacy Halo Application for Windows Vista and Above With Virtualization Enforced Issue

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Legacy Halo Application for Windows Vista and Above With Virtualization Enforced Issue

Post by RadWolfie on Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:32 am

Hello everyone, including Sawnose,

I have discovered a bug, I do NOT consider as a feature, with Windows Vista and above issue for the H-Ext to detect the Halo installation is writable to the current user. With Virtualization enforced due to no manifest embedded in Halo application, it kept thinking the Halo installation within the Program Files directory, Program Files (x86) for 64 bit, is writable when it's not. I do not have a workaround this issue nor have ability to fix it without directly editing the Windows OS or the Halo application itself. I have post news about it.
>>> Windows Vista and Above Issue with Legacy App Virtualization <<<

Will Sawnose, aka Roger, fix this in future release? Please? I personally preferred to keep the Halo applications code signed to show the Halo users that it is valid executable and not modified version...

RadWolfie

http://halo.dangerzonestudio.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Legacy Halo Application for Windows Vista and Above With Virtualization Enforced Issue

Post by Skylace on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:08 am

Having Halo write changes to your AppData folder can save your game in many cases if you accidentally break one of the maps (HaloPC) when skinning or modding you can just go in and delete the map file in your AppData and it will remove all the mods most of the time unless you dragged and dropped the modified map directly into your original Halo folder.  But I find this to be quite a nice thing not a problem.

Skylace

http://bud.boards.net it300

Back to top Go down

Re: Legacy Halo Application for Windows Vista and Above With Virtualization Enforced Issue

Post by RadWolfie on Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:43 am

Estimated 70% of the Windows users does know about the AppData folder since Minecraft has been widely used and very popular. However, only 60% of them do not know about the programs within Program Files folder made the redirect to AppData path where VirtualStore folder is at whenever there's been a writing attempt within the Program Files folder. This is a major problem for legacy programs trying to check if the Program Files are writable or not.  If the Program Files are not writable, then it will switch to "plan B" routine. I'm talking about in general programs. As for myself, I am doing this method to notify the Halo users their current directory where Halo is installed is not writable. Also 90% of H-Ext new and existing users cannot find the extension folder in Program Files as they were expecting to be at.

If you are concerned about corrupted maps, Halo will display a message of "___.map" is not compatible or is corrupted. You can remove specific map from the maps folder inside the Halo's directory. Besides, any of your game saves are saved in your document folder where it should be at anyway.

I have made the comparison of pros and cons about the AppData for "VirtualStore" directory being used, 87% of it are cons. So, I am completely against the Virtualization starting from Windows Vista and newer for the Program Files applications.

Since I have not heard from them, I already proceeded with the patch to fix the problem within the H-Ext. I have no idea when the next release date for H-Ext... It all depends on work.

RadWolfie

http://halo.dangerzonestudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:24 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum