Halo Fixes
Welcome!

This site is a central place to discuss solutions for issues with Halo (for example, if the server lobby is not available).

Hopefully we can help you fix your Halo problems.

You can browse the information here without logging in, but if you register for an account then you can ask questions (or provide answers).

¡Bienvenido!

Este sitio es un lugar central para discutir soluciones para los problemas con Halo (por ejemplo, si el lobby de los servidores no está disponible).

Espero que podamos ayudarle a solucionar sus problemas de Halo.

Puede navegar por la información aquí sin iniciar sesión, pero si usted se registra para una cuenta entonces usted puede hacer preguntas (o dar respuestas).

Some details about the Internet Lobby fix5516

Some details about the Internet Lobby fix

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Some details about the Internet Lobby fix

Post by PÕQ~Technut on Sat May 10, 2014 10:53 pm

I'll be updating this post with details about the upcoming Lobby fix.

Halo version 1.10 (technically 1.0.10) should be released soon, but for those who want to be testers... here's an early copy that you can try. This will not work if you have any Halo mods installed (eg. HAC2). Please post a comment here to report any other problems.

Edit: Testing is over. Here is the release version.

NOTE: This software is direct from Bungie. Please do not redistribute the file; give people the link instead since this might still not be the final version. The final version will be published soon.

This uses the new Master Server but there are very few people/servers on the new MS just yet. Halo dedicated server code is included in the .zip file if you want to put up a 1.10 server, but existing mods (SAPP, Phasor) will not work with 1.10 yet due to the changes in the server code.

Apparently Sehe has pushed out a SAPP update that causes SAPP servers to also list on the new Master Server, but since they are advertising as below version 1.10 you won't see them with the 1.10 client.

If you're a developer hoping to patch some existing version (eg. Mac) then you'll be glad to know that the new Master Server will be a direct replacement for the GameSpy one. To use the new Master Server just change any "gamespy.com" domain references to the new domain "hosthpc.com". For example, "natneg1.gamespy.com" should be changed to "natneg1.hosthpc.com".

Please do not request new features!

This update is a maintenance release, just to keep Halo working. There are no plans to ever add new features (that will be left to the modders).

However, Roger did throw in a few nice fixes:
- permit resolutions up 4800x3600
- enable active camo on Nvidia (it will render like other cards now instead of just alpha blending)
- fixed video memory value to support 2GB cards
- fixed handling of periods in map names
- network access is enabled in devmode
- sv_ban_penalty in init.txt works to set new values
- models node limit raised to 63
- ignores checksum of strings.dll
- various overflow, validation and other code fixes

Last edited by PÕQ~Technut on Thu May 15, 2014 10:20 pm; edited 12 times in total

PÕQ~Technut

http://poqclan.com poqtechnut

Back to top Go down

Re: Some details about the Internet Lobby fix

Post by sehé°° on Sun May 11, 2014 12:20 pm

One minor bug I found in 1.10 both PC and CE that the binary version number is still 0x00096A27 (616999) like in 1.09, even though it supposed to be 0x000979C8 (621000). This would be important for mods to decide easily which version they are running at.

sehé°°

http://xhalo.tk lgbalazs

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger W on Mon May 12, 2014 1:18 pm

sehé°° wrote:One minor bug I found in 1.10 both PC and CE that the binary version number is still 0x00096A27 (616999) like in 1.09, even though it supposed to be 0x000979C8 (621000). This would be important for mods to decide easily which version they are running at.
This is the Network Protocol Version, and has intentionally not changed for a handful of updates, since nothing has broken cross-build compatibility. If I remember correctly, this version check is enforced when a client joins a server, and allows much easier transitions between builds since auto-patched clients can (server-browser permitting) connect to unpatched servers, and also by directip.

Roger W

Back to top Go down

Post by E3pO on Mon May 12, 2014 2:50 pm

Any hopes to open source the original source code \ editing kit?

It'd be nice to run sapien at a higher resolution...

Also, any plans on updating the ui.map to remove the "Powered by Gamespy" and "unable to connect to gamespy" boxes?

E3pO

Back to top Go down

Post by Amit on Mon May 12, 2014 3:06 pm

E3pO wrote:Any hopes to open source the original source code \ editing kit?

It'd be nice to run sapien at a higher resolution...

There has always been hope, but doesn't Microsoft own it? They will never release it.

Amit

http://RedditRescueForce.reddit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaz on Mon May 12, 2014 3:52 pm

Adding to E3pO's question, any plans on also updating the ui.map with a similar feature to the Universal UI that MooseGuy made? (i.e. having singleplayer maps shown in the interface, in a similar manner to mp maps).
I know you're trying to avoid adding new features, but I think with the amount of singleplayer mods out there, allowing interface-based access to them is quite important, as currently, by default, players have to go through the console, which, while it isn't particularly difficult, is counter-intuitive, especially for casual players.

Also, a more basic fix; Halo's had anistropic filtering as an option hidden in the config file since a good few patches ago. Any plans to add it as an option in the UI, since it's obviously already implemented in the game?

Jaz

Back to top Go down

Post by PÕQ~Arizona on Mon May 12, 2014 4:18 pm

I have noticed a small glitch in the text chat if I use my monitors native resolution.  

I cannot see what I am typing if the resolution is set to 1680x1050.  Can anyone recreate this problem?

Examples:

Visible text: 1600x1024

Invisible text: 1680x1050

Proof of typing: 1680x1050 

PÕQ~Arizona

Back to top Go down

Post by Cortexian on Mon May 12, 2014 4:51 pm

They could fix that by including some additional chatbox files. I forget what they're called and the details for editing them, but there are some for all the default resolutions. If they pushed some new ones out with a patch to support resolutions up to 3840x2160 that would be superb.

Also... Integrate map downloading from dedicated servers? It works in Open Sauce! This was the single biggest lacking feature of Halo Custom Edition IMO. Manually searching for, downloading, unzipping, and rebooting your game is to much work for most gamers. Or to complicated for them in some cases..

Cortexian

Back to top Go down

Post by PÕQ~Technut on Mon May 12, 2014 5:20 pm

Cortexian wrote:They could fix that by including some additional chatbox files. I forget what they're called and the details for editing them, but there are some for all the default resolutions.
The .ksml files (in the "content" directory under Halo).  

Edit: Apparently Btcc22 has already created some new ones. Not confirmed yet if they will be in the final release.

Last edited by PÕQ~Technut on Mon May 12, 2014 5:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

PÕQ~Technut

Back to top Go down

Post by E3pO on Mon May 12, 2014 5:22 pm

I started a non official issue tracker on github if anyone wants to contribute,

You can also submit things like maps/ui.map (for uimap fixes), strings.dll patches, etc...

https://github.com/wreiske/halobugs/issues

E3pO

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger W on Mon May 12, 2014 7:50 pm

E3pO wrote:Also, any plans on updating the ui.map to remove the "Powered by Gamespy" ?
Nope. Even without the master server, the networking includes a lot of Gamespy code, so it's still true. And, presumably, contractually required.

E3oO wrote:and "unable to connect to gamespy" boxes
Nope. That's a change to content, which is a can of worms we've never had to touch, and a different build process entirely.

Roger W

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger W on Tue May 13, 2014 2:51 am

Hi all,

The first full Release Candidate for 1.0.10 is ready as a full patch file for HaloPC. (CE will come in a day or so).

(Edit: patch updated to .1 minor version on 5/13 11:52 PDT. If you installed .0, do the registry thing mentioned below and reapply)
patch: http://ph.bungie.net/halopctestbuilds/halopc-patch-1.0.10.1.exe

server: http://ph.bungie.net/halopctestbuilds/haloded.exe

New to this build are updates to the chatbox max length (128) and the visual size of the box (thanks btcc22!). If you know of anyone who can help test this in the Korean, Japanese, or Chinese builds of the game, please point them to this update and get their feedback when typing long messages. The chatbox is now also meant to be positioned better for very large screens (>1200 vertical res)

This build also points to a new location for the MOTD in the server browser window. No file exists there yet, so you'll see a default message. That's ok.

This build is prepared as a real patch file and will update your registry to 1.10. If you want to run this patch more than once, you must manually revert your registry version back to an earlier version such as 1.09 or it won't re-run.
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Halo\Version)

Please post here with any NEW bugs you believe are introduced by this build/patch.

Thanks for testing!

Roger W

Back to top Go down

Post by KStaR on Tue May 13, 2014 3:08 pm

Would it be a simple fix to completely remove mouse acceleration? I realise the command mouse_acceleration 0 is supposed to do this but it only minimizes the acceleration and unfortunately there has never been a true fix. Either way, big thank you to Roger as you always seem to come to Halo's rescue. I find it amazing that someone from Bungie still provides support for such an old game and yet Crytek can't do the same for Crysis/Crysis 2. Also thanks to Btcc22, Kornman00 and technut of course.

Spoiler:
Destiny PC please!  Razz 

KStaR

Back to top Go down

HALO UPDATE 1.10 WILL FIX THE LOBBY LIST PROBLEM

Post by Patxi on Tue May 13, 2014 6:01 pm

Man I wished it worked with OS, will it crash if I have OS installed?

Patxi

xxpatxixx

Back to top Go down

Post by jacobmil90 on Tue May 13, 2014 6:01 pm

Are we supposed to wait until May 31st to install this? I didn't see anything explaining that directly. I have Halo installed and then I downloaded your 1.0.10.1.exe patch. Now I can't find any servers in the server lobby. Is this because the Master Server Btcc22 made isn't finished yet?

jacobmil90

Back to top Go down

Post by Patxi on Tue May 13, 2014 6:10 pm

jacobmil90 wrote:Are we supposed to wait until May 31st to install this? I didn't see anything explaining that directly. I have Halo installed and then I downloaded your 1.0.10.1.exe patch. Now I can't find any servers in the server lobby. Is this because the Master Server Btcc22 made isn't finished yet?
 That's because most servers are in 1.00 and 1.09.

Patxi

xxpatxixx

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger W on Tue May 13, 2014 6:28 pm

- Mouse accel: Sorry, that's out of scope for this sort of patch. We're fixing major bugs, things that are unequivocally broken, rather than design change requests

- When to install: If this testing goes well, the patch could go live in just a few days. Servers ought to start migrating quickly once users have to auto-patch. The master server will get a few tweaks, but is up and running already.

Roger W

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger W on Tue May 13, 2014 7:11 pm

PÕQ~Arizona wrote:I have noticed a small glitch in the text chat if I use my monitors native resolution.  

I cannot see what I am typing if the resolution is set to 1680x1050.  Can anyone recreate this problem?

btcc22 created some new chatbox files which are included in the current patch I linked above. Please do test at 1050 at tell us how it looks.

Note that if you previously manually edited your KSML files in the Content directory, the patch will probably *not* be able to change them. So I'll provide the new set here for people to manually copy over, if needed:
http://ph.bungie.net/halopctestbuilds/content.zip
(note that these replace the old files for the Latin fonts only; Asian builds should not use this file.)

Roger W

Back to top Go down

Post by HR_Shaft on Tue May 13, 2014 11:23 pm

May or may not be relevant to the patch, but may be relevant to the 1.01 Halo PC Dedi, Using Phasor, I get an error (most likely related to custom strings.dll for phasor):

Discussed here: http://phasor.proboards.com/thread/806/halo-10-new-master-server?page=1&scrollTo=6662

Tested resolution at 1920x1080, chatbox re-appeared (thank you!), textures no longer seem stretched horizontally even though reticle is oval.

Also, it would be grand to support version changing, by Geomitar.  Noted from your comments above, I don't think you have a focus on that type of change, but it would be . . . delicious.

Thank you much for your efforts,
Shaft

HR_Shaft

NerveBooger2012

Back to top Go down

Post by PÕQ~Technut on Wed May 14, 2014 4:14 am

Patxi wrote:Man I wished it worked with OS, will it crash if I have OS installed?
Yes, probably. OpenSauce hasn't been updated for 1.10 yet.

PÕQ~Technut

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum